MSSQL Database Server Authorization

This public forum is for user-to-user discussions of PHPMaker. Note that this is not support forum.
Saintor
User

MSSQL Database Server Authorization

Post by Saintor »

Hello, I am interested in security.

All our users will user the same Windows Profile and I have to rely on user-entered infos for logging on.

I see that you can create your own table, but my question is; can you use MS "SQL Server Authentification"? I guess "no" according to all I read but I wanted to double-check.

Also is there a way using a table-level security to show the user name currently logged on on all pages?

Thank you.

mobhar
User

Post by mobhar »

So, what is exactly do you want?

danielc
User

Post by danielc »

Just enter username/password for SQL Server Authentification. See Database Setup in help file.

To display logged user name, see this topic, http://www.hkvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34615.

Saintor
User

Post by Saintor »

mobhar wrote:
So, what is exactly do you want?

To control tables/views security right from within MS SQL's own system, via database/users roles, without having to to recreate a set of tables dedicated to PHP Maker. All users will share the same Windows profile, so I can't rely on Trusted Connections. I need the PHP web to require a log on, connected directly to SQL Database Server Authentication.

Why am I looking for this?

Because I also manage the db security for ODBC access. I would prefer no to maintain 2 security systems. I must admit that I have been using a competitor (PHP Generator) that had this possibility. PHP Maker seems overall a more complete package. I was wondering if it was me not understanding.

[quote]To display logged user name, see this topic, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34615.[/quote]

Txs.

Is there a possibility to add a script that would trigger/pop up the standard MS "SQL Server Login" dialog box?

mobhar
User

Post by mobhar »

Saintor wrote:
To control tables/views security right from within MS SQL's own system, via database/users
roles, without having to to recreate a set of tables dedicated to PHP Maker.

Technically, you can achieve it by customizing PHPMaker template. I cannot imagine, that there will be a huge customization you have to do regarding it, since you need to substitute the PHPMaker security feature.

However, I do not recommend you to do it. Alternatively, you may use both security feature, afterwards creating a "bridge" to enable both security understanding each other.

Just my two cents.